Festival do Rio, South America’s largest and most important film festival, has unveiled the line up for Première Brasil. Première Brasil is the only competitive section of Festival do Rio with jury prizes to be presented at the end of the festival. Three highly prized audience awards will also be bestowed on the best Brazilian feature film, best documentary and best short film.
Première Brasil, which has as its festival home the historic Odeon Petrobras (photo) in Cinelandia in downtown Rio de Janeiro, is the beating heart of Festival do Rio, and the best annual global showcase of contemporary Brazilian cinema.
This year’s Première Brasil includes eleven feature films, eight feature length documentaries and seventeen shorts in competition. A further three features and five documentary features will screen hors concours, while other Brazilian productions will screen in special Première Brasil sidebars such as Portraits and New Trends.
PREMIÈRE BRASIL | FICTION | COMPETITION
- OS AMIGOS (Best Friends), by Lina Chamie (SP), 89’
- DE MENOR (Underage), by Caru Alves de Souza (SP), 77’
- ENTRE NÓS (Sheep’s Clothing), by Paulo Morelli (SP), 97’
- ESTRADA 47 – A MONTANHA (Road 47 – The Mountain), by Vicente Ferraz (SP), 107’
- O HOMEM DAS MULTIDÕES (The Man of the Crowd), by Marcelo Gomes e Cao Guimarães (MG), 93’
- JOGO DAS DECAPITAÇÕES (Beheadings Game), by Sérgio Bianchi (SP), 96’
- O LOBO ATRÁS DA PORTA (A Wolf at the Door), by Fernando Coimbra (SP), 100’
- MINUTOS ATRÁS (Past Minut), by Caio Sóh (RJ), 106’
- PERISCÓPIO (Periscope), by Kiko Goifman (SP), 80’
- QUASE SAMBA (Lyrics), by Ricardo Targino (RJ), 90’
- TATUAGEM (Tattoo), by Hilton Lacerda (PE), 110
PREMIÈRE BRASIL | DOCUMENTARIES | COMPETITION
- CATIVAS, PRESAS PELO CORAÇÃO (Captive Hearts), by Joana Nin (PR), 77’
- CIDADE DE DEUS – 10 ANOS DEPOIS (City of God – 10 Years Later),by Cavi Borges & Luciano Vidigal (RJ), 75’
- CONVERSA COM JH (Writers Block), by Ernesto Rodrigues (RJ), 93’ DAMAS DO SAMBA (Lady’s Samba), by Susanna Lira (RJ), 75’
- A FARRA DO CIRCO (Ruckus in the Circus), by Roberto Berliner & Pedro Bronz (RJ), 94’
- FLA x FLU (Fla x Flu), by Renato Terra (SP), 85’
- A GENTE (Custodians), by Aly Muritiba (PR), 99’
- HISTÓRIAS DE ARCANJO – UM DOCUMENTÁRIO SOBRE TIM LOPES (Stories of Arcanjo – a documentary about Tim Lopes), by Guilherme Azevedo (RJ), 84’.
PREMIÈRE BRASIL | FICTION | HORS CONCOURS
- EDUCAÇÃO SENTIMENTAL (Sentimental Education), by Julio Bressane (RJ), 84’
- GATA VELHA AINDA MIA (Never too Old to Meow), by Rafael Primot (SP), 86’
- MATO SEM CACHORRO (The Dognapper), by Pedro Amorim (RJ), 121’
PREMIÈRE BRASIL | DOCUMENTARIES | HORS CONCOURS
- CAUBY – COMEÇARIA TUDO OUTRA VEZ (Cauby – I Would Start All Over Again), by Nelson Hoineff (RJ), 80’
- FEIO, EU? (Ugly, Me?), by Helena Ignez (SP), 70’
- MATARAM MEU IRMÃO (They Killed My Brother), by Cristiano Burlan (SP), 77’;
- SERRA PELADA: A LENDA DA MONTANHA DE OURO (The Legend Of the Golden Mountain), by Victor Lopes (RJ), 90’.
- VINTE – RioFilme, 20 anos de cinema brasileiro (Twenty), by Carlos Diegues (RJ) 80